PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY
National Call for Action to Stop Police Brutality at the Republian
Support 300 people arrested in Saint Paul! Demand an end to illegal detention and brutality in Ramsey County Jail!
9/3/08, St. Paul - Approximately 300 people have been arrested for participating in demonstrations since the beginning of the Republican National Convention. The majority of arrestees remain in custody and are being held in inhumane conditions. Of the 300 arrested, approximately 120 have been accused of trumped-up felony charges by police; many of them are being held illegally beyond Minnesota’s 36-hour limit on detentions without formal charges.
All people who value democracy and fear for the erosion of our constitution, regardless of political affiliation, are called upon to demand an end to this egregious denial of constitutional and human rights. Prisoners have reported being denied medical treatment and essential medications, and many are engaged in a hunger strike to pressure the sheriffs to give them critical care. Many are being held in 23 hours/day lockdown and/or have not been allowed to meet with lawyers or make phone calls – especially trans prisoners. Several prisoners have been able to reach legal support to report brutal physical assaults by multiple corrections officers. The constitutional and legal rights of all prisoners are being denied across the board, with no apparent end to this outrageous treatment.
Please call the following offices and continue calling until all arrestees have been released:
- St. Paul Mayor – Chris Coleman (651.266.8510)
- Head of Ramsey County Jail – Capt. Ryan O’Neil (651.266-9350 ext 1)
- Ramsey County Sheriff – Bob Fletcher (651.266.9333)
- County Chief Judge Gearin (651.266.8266)
- Immediate medical attention as needed for ALL arrestees;
- That the prisoners who haven’t given their names (Jane & John Does and Jesse Sparkles) have access to group meetings with a lawyer in jail;
- Dismissal of all charges;
- Release of all minors; and
- Ensure trans prisoners have access to phone and attorneys, and are held in gender group of their choice.
- Money is needed to help cover legal costs and get people out of jail. Any amount you can give is greatly appreciated. To donate by Pay Pal visit https://coldsnaplegal.wordpress.com and click on the donate button.