Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Journal publishing in cultural studies

Quite some time ago, I drafted a short conference paper called, "Acknowledged Goods: Cultural Studies and the Politics of Scholarly Journal Publishing." I've presented versions of it at the annual cultural studies conference we hold here at Indiana University and at the "Cultural Studies Now" conference in London (both in 2007). I'll be presenting still another, more refined version of the paper at "Crossroads in Cultural Studies" this July in Kingston, Jamaica.

Since I'm done revising my book, I'm able to return to "Acknowledged Goods" and to begin developing it in earnest. To that end, I've placed a snippet of the paper-in-progress on the Differences and Repetitions Wiki, which you can access by clicking here. I'd appreciate any comments you may have. You can leave feedback right on the site or email suggestions to me directly (striphas@indiana.edu).

Currently, there are only two paragraphs and a couple of tables, so the material shouldn't take you too long to read. The information about journal publishers and their subscription prices may surprise and even alarm you (or, maybe not, if you've been following the open access debates). I'll be adding more to the document in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ted,

This article really badly needs to be written. The numbers are complete outrageous.

Also, I never said congrats on wrapping up the book, so congrats on wrapping up the book. I look forward to the finished product.

Best,
--J

Ted Striphas said...

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the good words--about the book, and about the article I'm working on.

The good thing about the essay is that, in just the last year, many more people have become aware of the issues I'm trying to address. That gives me even more incentive to get it done ASAP. It's already been lingering for too long.