Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thank you, wise crowd (plus some news)

First, let me acknowledge all of the good folks who've written in to provide feedback on my paper about Amazon's Kindle e-reading device and what I'm calling "the labor of reading." Your contributions (i.e., your labor!) certainly will help to sharpen my presentation, which I'll be delivering later this week at the American Studies convention in Albuquerque, NM. Thank you, wise crowd!

I'm also writing to share a bit of good news: the piece got a mention on the Los Angeles Times blog, Jacket Copy. You can read the complete article by clicking here. I'm just thrilled, needless to say. Who would have thought this little old conference paper would get national media attention?

Once the dust has settled from my trip, I'll be sure to post the final, definitive version of the Kindle paper to the D&R Wiki. Thanks again for now, and let me know what you think about the article on the Times blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you own a Kindle?

Ted Striphas said...

The short answer is, yes, I own a Kindle. The slightly longer answer is that I see the irony in owning a device I'm quite critical about. I don't see any other way to talk about it, however, since no one I know happens to own one besides me.

Anonymous said...

I actually think it's better that you do own one. . . . The alternative would be conjecture as the basis of your analysis.